A service engineer came to our house to carry out some work. While inside he and his crew took some time out to have a look at my art which is displayed on some of the walls in our house. There was one picture and style that caught their attention and eventually, one of he guys asked, how much would it be to have a painting done by you? He explained that it would be of his family and we talked about the size etc. In a few minutes we came to an agreement and here is the painting that resulted. Portrait 002 Acylics on canvas 30 x 20 inches
We needed to have some pictures showing night scenes but logistics and model availability meant we could only shoot in the daytime. So what do I do? This first image was shot by the beach, in the Caribbean, at noon on a very sunny day. To achieve this look I changed the exposure setting on my camera away from what might be considered the complimentary setting for shooting in bright day light. I was going to have to do some retouching but wanted a good base image to work with. Light during nighttime often displays with a pronounced amount of blue, so capturing an image with lots of blue already in would be a good place for me to begin. So I set my camera light meter to read the light as if it was coming from a tungsten source. This would push the overall ambience toward a blue tone. However, I wanted to keep the skin tones warm and not blue. To make this happen, I shot with a speedlite and set the lighting to expose the foreground only. I also put an orange filter on the f...
I spent the whole of the labor Day weekend in glorious sunshine. I heard that the weather in San Francisco wasn't so summery on Saturday, but I was further south shooting a wedding, as I said, in glorious sunshine. Friday night was the usual check and re-check before a shoot. I created a checklist for all my gear and checked everything off as each item was first loaded into a gear bag and then loaded into my car. When I'm finished at the venue, I'll use my checklist again to make sure I have all my gear heading back home with me. I had been down on Thursday to have a last look at the premises before the actual wedding on Saturday, so I was happy with just using speedlites for the evening jollifications. The main lighting issue was going to be balancing with the direct sunlight that would be bathing the unsheltered area where the ceremony would take place. My solution for this would be having a reflector facing the bride and groom to feather them with some fill light. This w...
Comments
Post a Comment