A Hip Camera Gadget

While shooting an event and carrying 2 cameras, Antonella mentioned to me that she was concerned at how my posture was looking crooked as I tried to shoot multiple angles with one camera while trying to balance another over my shoulder without it slipping off. I'm fortunate that my posture is very good, but Antonella expressed that her concern was I might lose it long term due to the way I was almost permanently contorted while balancing 2 cameras. She was right. I was very aware of what I was doing with my body and promised her on the spot I would find a remedy for this situation. And I have.

Today I went out with my camera to field-test my newly purchased B-Grip. When I'm around town with my camera, I prefer to walk or use public transport since I find it easier to spot, and take advantage of, the many photo opportunities that are endless in San Francisco. 

Camera locked in place on the B-Grip
So I strap my camera onto my B-Grip around my waist and set of to catch the MUNI downtown where I've arranged to meet a friend for coffee. Once I've walked about 3 blocks I can see up to the top of a distant hill and see if a train is approaching my stop, and there was! I'm about 250 yards from the stop at this point, and I know that if I run like I mean it, I'll get to the stop in time to board the train. I've done it so many times before but this time I have my Nikon strapped to my waist, and held in place by a very clever, but insignificant looking, lever and catch device. Well I don't want to keep my friend waiting and the B-Grip videos make a big deal of showing people running and jumping with the product and none of them ended in tears.

And I'm off. Sprinting along the street, my camera feels well balanced and moves with my body. No swinging, flapping, or banging about. It's almost as if my camera is no longer there. It is still there isn't it? I glance down to my side. And there is my Nikon hugging my waist and moving in unison with my body. I jump aboard the train and the doors close. Unlatching my camera from my side, I give it a quick once over. I had the lens locked in place so no worries about that. And after checking all the basic functions, I'm happy to report that my camera had taken the whole episode in it's stride. 

I got off the MUNI at the Embarcadero and ran up the stairs. Both hands completely free while my camera snuggled, nicely weighted into my waist and hip. I had almost reached the coffee shop when I noticed the Raygun Gothic Rocketship by the bay. I reached to my hip and flicked the released and raised the camera viewfinder to my eye in one easy motion. Once I had explored the Rocketship's angles, I guided my camera back to my hip where it clipped instantly back into the B-Grip.

So now I have my posture back, and the freedom to run after buses and trains, have my hands free, and all while I'm carrying a camera. I did look at a few alternatives but based on needing to be active while shooting, this looked like being the best solution for me. I'm really satisfied with my purchase and all I'm going to do now is — enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Size Matters

Creating May The Fourth

AI AI, Oh!