I want my baby back!

Shutter speed: 1/2000 at f/2.8. ISO 200, 35mm - Lens is Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 SP XR Di II VC
The image above is not my baby, but it is a picture that was captured with my baby. Yes, it's a lens and I'm starting to really miss it now. I normally love walking about the city with a fast wide zoom and this Tamron is a real joy to use. I was doing a shoot in January when I dropped the lens from chest height onto a wooden floor. I picked it up and it looked ok except the zoom action was now a little stiff. Also at wider apertures it was obviously only focusing properly on one side.

Autofocus went from intermittent to non-existent and the Vibration Control had definitely left town! Still, by putting the lens and camera into fully manual mode it was still possible to take really sharp clear pictures providing the available conditions would allow shots to be composed at the optimum f stop and shutter speed for the occasion.

I was able to prove this to myself by having some of my shots accepted by an extremely picky photo library that were taken with my now badly wounded lens. I really didn't want to part with it but couldn't bear to see it suffer as it continued to try and turn out sharp images for me no matter how it suffered and creaked.

So on the February 5th, I wrapped up my lens and boxed it and sent it off to be cared for by United Cameras. As  you can see it's been gone a while now and I'm told that "parts are on order for the repair."

I really looking forward to it coming come! Incidentally, the lady in the photo was gracious enough to pose for me last June as I walked through Yuerba Buena Gardens with my Tamron 17-50mm attached to my camera.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Size Matters

Creating May The Fourth

Don't Believe The Hype