Had my camera bag stolen in the street today...


Just a few days ago I was having a conversation with a fellow photographer and all round creative, about the importance of keeping physically fit as another tool for a photographer.

So I was in the Mission today doing a Senior portrait session for a young lady who had traveled to San Francisco with the rest of her family for a few days of vacation time. While shooting I had rested a camera bag on the ground containing a spare camera body and 2 very fast lenses including an 85mm f1.4, and some other goodies. My client was really inspiring to work with and we got some great shots including backdrops such as this one in 18th Street.

The family went off to their car to drive to the next meeting point. While changing a few camera settings before I grabbed my gear, out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy ride pass my bag on a bicycle and grab it. 

He pedaled out into Mission Street heading toward 16th. I gave chase but he was really cranking and I couldn't catch him. I had a really strong sense of where he might go to quickly check his newly snagged bounty so I moved up a gear and kept on sprinting.

I stopped running just as I got 16th and Mission by the BART and walked into the space as casually as I could, still holding a very conspicuous camera in one hand, and the gold and silver foiled case of my reflector cover hanging from a strap at the back of my jeans. Behind a bundle of belongings on a supermarket cart a man had just stooped down and was about to open a bag.

As he reached out to lift the flap, I reached in from the side of him, grabbed the handle and said, "that's my bag" picked it up and walked off. I don't know if the shocked look on his face was because I had dared to reclaim what was mine or that he wasn't expecting I could have got to where he was so quickly.

Another workout at the gym for me tomorrow and all's well that ends well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Size Matters

Creating May The Fourth

Don't Believe The Hype