A simple photography method for floating objects in space.

I created this image at home one day and have licensed it a couple of times as a stock photo image. I've had people comment that this must have taken ages to produce with all the work involved. The truth is, it took 3 hours from start to finish, including the photography. In some ways this is one of the simpler images I've ever put together.

So here's how it's done. First I set up my lighting for the scene, set a camera on a tripod and locked the focus, white balance, and exposure. I would be taking 19 exposures and would not be touching the camera in between shots to avoid any chance of misalignment between one frame to the next.

Base image of just the minimal scene
The first shot I took was probably the most important of them all and its a shot of the scene minus any models and additional props. After capturing this base exposure I just carried on shooting while holding my floating objects in a different position in the air for each frame. You can see that I'm using a remote trigger to fire the camera and lights and the only other thing I needed to take care of is to try to hold everything with my hands and fingers as much 'behind' the objects as I could, which would make the retouching part quick and easy to carry out. 

Once I had my 19 exposures, I simply opened them all in a single a Photoshop document as layers. Making sure my base image of the empty scene was on the bottom layer, I was now able to work on each of the other layers individually and just erase anything I didn't want showing in the final image. Because I was careful of how I held each object while shooting, any retouching I needed to do was minimal.

And there you have it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Size Matters

Creating May The Fourth

AI AI, Oh!